6.25.2013

Brinner Time!

What is Brinner- like only the most delish mealtime ever!! Basically brinner is when you cook breakfast meals ( pancakes, eggs & bakey (bacon) , omelettes, etc.) for dinner. Everyone knows I don't eat breakfast anywhere except at my house because I find breakfast restaurants ( sorry Dennys & IHOP) creepy. Don't ask, I'm not sure why either. Anyways I love love love making breakfast foods because the combinations are ENDLESS!!

The main staple of breakfast is EGGS!! Eggs can be made several ways & with different ingredients which is why so many people prefer eggs as their morning protein source. I never used to have a problem with eggs nor did my allergy test come out positive for an egg allergy; however, I noticed food items with egg  (GF bread, pasta ,etc.) & my morning omelettes were starting to make me sick. This is common in many people who have a gluten allergy I later found out. So, I immediately cut out eggs and anything that was made with eggs and have been egg- free for close to a year.

I gave in last week and had my first omelet for brinner and let me tell you...it was AMAZEBALLS!! I'm slowly incorporating egg back into my diet ...here's to hoping I can tolerate them!! But enough blabbering, without further adieu I give you my super simple & tasty Asparagus omelet plus some awesome add-in ideas!!

Shopping List

  • 1 cage-free/organic brown egg (or equal amount egg whites)
  • 2 Asparagus spears
  • 1 tablespoon earth balance vegan butter (any butter/oil you prefer)
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • Optional add-ins (My favs. listed below)
    • BACON (Applegate Bacon is organic/hormone free & delish!)
    • mushrooms (baby bellas add great flavor)
    • chopped jalapeno/serrano pepper ***seeds=spicy,/remove seeds=less spicy
    • chopped onions
    • shredded cheese (I have yet to find a suitable vegan cheese alternative) 
    • anything that fancies you that day, get cray!! 
Let's get Cookin'
  1. Heat up a small skillet on med-low heat & place the butter in the pan to start melting. If the butter starts to brown take off the heat immediately!
  2. Wash & pat dry the Asparagus spears. Little trick*** Bend the lower part of the asparagus spear in order to break off the dead (bad) part.You don't know what I'm talking about, okay just cut about 2-3 inches off the bottom of the asparagus spear. Cut the rest of the spear into 2 inch pieces & toss them into the butter bath. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until they are a bright green color (halfway cooked) because they will continue to cook more when you add the egg. 
Asparagus in a butter bath

     3. Whip up your egg & add into the asparagus and butter bath. Don't stir! Let the eggs cook up for a minute or until they start to set. 
Stage 1
     4. Using a spatula, push one edge of the egg into the center of the pan, while also titling the pan to allow the liquidy egg to flow underneath. Keep repeating until most of the egg mixture is set.  
   
Stage 2
     5. Once the mixture is set and semi cooked,  run your spatula underneath the omelet and flip it over. If your not confident in your flipping skills take a plate large enough to cover the skillet & flip it on to it. Then simply slide the un-cooked side back on to the skillet.  

Stage 3- Almost done! 

      6. Cook for another 2-3 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. As always I like everything cooked thoroughly so I prefer my eggs well done. 
DELISH!!

*** I used a small omelet pan so I did not fold over half of the omelet, it cooked up like a pancake fluffy & light... I enjoyed every bite!!  


Additional add-ins: You can cook your add-ins before you add the egg or you can add the veggies & egg at the same time, its up to you & your taste buds! 
 ***Cook any meat (Bacon, Sausage, etc.) before adding the egg/veggie mixture!!

Combo #1- Mushroom/Asparagus












Combo #2 - Onion/Mushroom/Serrano Pepper









Combo #3- Bacon/Onion/ Serrano Pepper 

Here's to EGGS, all day err day!!

XO~ Clarie

No comments:

Post a Comment